January 26, 2012

holiday switcheroo


Up until yesterday, my Christmas tree was still up. Okay, not our real, live, six foot glittering tree but a decorative tree nonetheless. It's a three foot tall blue tinselly tree that I put oversized pink and gold ornaments on. I adore it. Fuzzy feelings aside, I needed to come to grips with the fact that the holidays were over an entire month ago.

I also had several apothocary jars full of glittering bulbs still out and a huge ornament wreath on my front door, but I digress.

I'm trying to get on top of things, so I thought why not start decorating for Valentines Day? Now that we have Charlotte I feel this great responsiblity to make holidays extra special, even if they were made up by Hallmark.

I had a budget of about, oh, zero dollars. Money is t-i-g-h-t so I scavanged through the house to see what I could come up with.

I have a Martha Stewart heart punch, and grabbed a billion (free!) paint samples from Menards. I punched out oh, about a billion hearts, and strung them with bright pink thread. Charlotte helped. By helped I mean she sat at the table putting her pile of paint chip hearts into a cup, dumping the cup, and repeat. And repeatedly trying to eat the paint chips (do they really taste that good)?

Anyways, she was happy as could be, so it was nice that we were sitting at the table together working on a project.

I strung a long garland above a big cabinet that houses all my dishes and glasses. DSC_0205 DSC_0200

A small garland got swagged across the mirror on the front console table, along with three random snowflakes.

DSC_0179

I had the rest of the ornament 'flakes hanging on the chandelier above our table during the holidays and figured they were generic enough for all winter. DSC_0203

Back to that gorgeous console table. DSC_0219

Okay, it's not that great, but it was only $40 at Salvation Army. It's nice and heavy and only needed a fresh coat of paint. Don't mind the huge chip on the bottom from moving. Or the awful rosey bisque colored walls and pukey pink carpet in subsequent pictures. Many plans about both of these being changed, with some projects happening quicker than others.

This isn't specific to Valentines Day, but this frame sits on the console no matter what. If a picture frame could scream my name, it would. I love it and the people who gifted it to me :) DSC_0181

Behind it is a pair of candlesticks we found in the garage in a box of my grandma's junk stuff. I love the aged finish.

DSC_0214

The cut glass dish in the grouping holds our keys all of the time, since the console is right by the front door. Fancy schmancy.

DSC_0217

The other side of the table has a Goodwill frame I bought a while ago that I sprayed green. It looks neon in the picture, but looks more "spring green" in real life. I made a "Valentines Day" print in photoshop really quick with random relating words in different fonts. The gold frame is from our old dining room, but with a new picture of our bathing beauty.

DSC_0211

Soo.. a whole gaggle of pictures and a page of gobbeldy gook about free decorating I did. This set up will probably be unchanged until about oh, the Fourth of July. DSC_0183 DSC_0175

No comments:

Post a Comment